Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Professional Issues Class Post 6: Dreaming of a speech room

The assignment: At the beginning of class, we talked about what would make a person happy or satisfied in a position. Often what brings you happiness is not directly related to your profession.  What do you want – interior hall, lots of windows, solo practice, teamwork, variety, continuity, change, stability, something new every day, routine? Those are just examples to guide your thinking – the only thing that would get your entry not approved is if you reference speech-language pathology. I want you to think about the environment more than the specific duties.

Did my professor just give me free reign to peruse Pinterest for Speech Room Organization ideas for the next 4 hours?   I think so. 
brb...

OK.    That was fun.   I went here and here and then over here and then hung out here for awhile. 

Really, I dream of having my own speech room.  Right now, my "office" is a corner of a home office I share with my husband.  And since I am one of those creative types, it's not very organized.     The only thing I can pretty much find right away is the laminator.   Everything else is buried somewhere.    I look forward to the day I get my very own, real live SPEECH ROOM that I can decorate.   Bulletin Boards...y'all!  

OK, so obviously, a space of my own is important.   With a door.  Windows are optional.  I am easily distracted.

Squirrel!

Technology?   I know a lot of schools are using Smart Boards these days.   There are a lot of great ideas for using smart boards in speech therapy and if I had one, I would definitely take some time to learn how to integrate that technology into my therapy plans.    However, I don't think tech is necessary for speech therapy.   Kids are inundated with tech every day.   I doubt anyone in the 4-10yr old demographic is even impressed at the sight of an iPad anymore.   

 
He'll master Angry Birds Star Wars before his mom changes the next diaper!

But they sure still do get excited over a game where you pick up /l/ cards with a magnetic fishing pole.  Seriously...this was the biggest hit ever with kids of all ages last semester:



This is my kid, doing hi-tech home speech therapy.   "Look mom, paper clips!"


Teamwork.  I like collaborating with peers.   <--That's a fancy way of saying I realize I barely know what I am doing and like surrounding myself with smart people who do.    I hope I end up in a setting where the SLP is considered a valued member of the educational team, and not someone who just pulls kids away from their "real work" to play games.    I wouldn't last long in an adversarial environment like that. 


I went to grad school just so I can get paid to play this!


Change.   This is a major draw to this field as a whole for me.   I love the variety!   The very idea that my day is comprised of 10 (or so) segments of therapy, in which no two will ever be the same, is right up my alley.  I could never work an assembly line.    Doing the same thing, every day, week after week is not my style.  



SLP work before the unions came along?

Autonomy with accountability.  I've heard of school Principals requesting the SLP's lesson plans every week.   I don't mind someone checking on me and making sure I am doing my job to the best of my abilities, which will happen naturally in my Clinical Fellowship year, but I also don't want to feel like someone hired me but doesn't trust me to do the job at all.   I don't have a problem asking for help when I need it and learning from others.   I just don't think I need someone looking over my shoulder every day.    That makes me nervous! 

Now if you'll excuse me, I have more speech rooms to go drool over....



No comments:

Post a Comment