Tuesday, May 28, 2013

First Interview tomorrow!

We interrupt this regularly scheduled class blog for an important announcement:  I have my first, real SLP job interview tomorrow.   It's at a local school district, within 30 mins of my house.    One that is small (only 1 high school, 1 middle school and 8 elementary schools) which is nice because most of the districts around here are huge, with multiple high schools and many, many feeder schools.  

I am polishing up my resume tonight, working up a cover letter, digging for decent clothing to pack tomorrow, so I can scramble my way out of my internship at 2, change at a friends house and arrive at the interview sweaty and out of breath before 3pm.  I picture myself looking something like this:


Also trying to prep my interview questions & answers.  

Interviewer:  What is your biggest fault?  

Me:  Well, I regret to say that I am a workaholic and a perfectionist.  My therapist and I are working on it, but my potential employer well benefit from it, at least until the meds kick in.

But seriously, I just hope I don't blather on and on about why I decided to make this mid life change to become an SLP and can keep my answers brief and not too personal.   As to the questions I plan to ask, I need to find a way to express my desire not to work with preschoolers in a socially appropriate manner. 

"Ma'am, I listen to enough whining at home to fill three lifetimes, so mayhap you can hook me up with some older kiddos on my caseload?" 

Luckily, tricky questions about salary wont come up, because they are all graded out and posted clearly on their website.   Which is good, because after all these years of school and internships, I will just be so happy to get paid anything, I might enthusiastically accept an offer of "$1/hr plus tips" without thinking twice.  



   Wish me luck!

2 comments:

  1. I don't think you'll need it since you are oozing charm and bravado, but if you insist, GOOD LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it Jenn!! At my interview they asked which population I preferred, but I think pre-k is lumped into elementary unless you do early intervention. Good luck!! You'll do great. I would hire you any day of the week!!!

    ReplyDelete